Stop & Shop associates are doing inspiring, essential work to serve the community during the COVID-19 pandemic. We take the safety and well-being of our associates very seriously and have invested more than $44 million so far in increased pay, expanded healthcare and leave benefits, access to critical safety equipment and new measures to strengthen adherence to social distancing guidelines in our stores and in our warehouse facilities. This includes:
- 10 percent raises for all union associates through May 30
- Masks, face shields, gloves and other personal protection equipment
- Specialized cleaning and sanitation services in all of our stores and facilities
- Incremental security
- The installation of plexiglass at registers and other close-contact situations
- One-way aisles, reduced store capacity, extra security and other measures to ensure proper social distancing
- The addition of contactless delivery for online customers and safety protections for our drivers
- Special pay covering up to two weeks of leave for those who are required to quarantine by health or government authorities or by the company
- Additional investment in our Helping Hands Fund for associates and their families in times of need, including around the coronavirus pandemic.
We’ve also been reminding customers of the steps they can take to help keep shopping safe, through ad campaigns, in-store signs and announcements.
Stop & Shop is also is fortunate to have had the opportunity to make a difference and help in our local communities throughout this crisis. We’ve made donations totally nearly $3 million to the following:
- A wide network of 13 regional food banks
- COVID-19 vaccine research
- Thousands of free meals and grocery deliveries for front-line hospital workers
- Free grocery deliveries to nursing homes and assisted living communities
- Gift card donations to Stop & Shop’s School Food Pantries to help keep kids fed while out of school
Stop & Shop is also proud to have created new professional opportunities for many across the region whose jobs have been affected by the pandemic. Since this crisis began, Stop & Shop has hired more than 5,500 people for regular – not temporary – part-time positions. We hope many of these associates will stay with us and grow their careers at a company where they can make a difference in their communities.